Monday, May 7, 2012

Review: Storybound


Storybound
Storybound by Marissa Burt

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



It was the premise of the story plot that got me interested in the first place, and I have to admit that the build up was doing a pretty good job setting up the world and the conflict. However, halfway into the story, it just felt like a chore to read when the conflict continued to be "discussed" rather than progressed on. I admire that there is a strong female heroine in this story, but I feel like Una Fairchild fit into the world too easily after being transported from the world of Readers. She almost instantly began to behave the same way that all the "characters" of Story behaved and you couldn't even really tell that she wasn't part of Story. Nothing seemed entirely strange to her and she readily accepted each and every new strange occurrence. Maybe it was the fact that she was still young and open-minded, or maybe it has to do with the ultimate reason why she had been Written In to Story, but never had this issue been brought up about how easily she fit into Story.

The characters ran a bit flat and I found that aside from that mysterious conflict going on from Story's history, I didn't really care what happened to the main characters at all. Peter Merriweather was an admirable main male lead as well, except for a young kid who's afraid of failing his practical exams and who came from a good, wholesome family, he seemed to have no problems bending rules, skipping classes, and getting into trouble. It seemed as if each character was just "playing a role" rather than coming to life as their own character.

I plan on reading the next book, but I'm not really anticipating it too much. It's one of those, "I'll read it when I see it next, or whenever I have time" types of things.



View all my reviews

No comments: