Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Review: Stormdancer


Stormdancer
Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



This is actually a 4.5 because of the last half of the book which merited a 5 star rating. The beginning kind of caught me inattentive, which brought upon the lower rating which almost bounced back save for certain things. I don't know if I will express any further opinions on this book since it is 3 AM and I'm fairly sleepy after crunching the last hundred and fifty pages. But I DO know that after I finally got past what seemed like a slow start to the story, I dove right into the rest of it with this thought: "I physically NEED to finish this book... right now!" Which is always a good thing in terms of how much I ended up loving the story and progression and most importantly the characters both main and supporting.

Because a lot of the slow start may have been my own fault, just being unable to focus for reasons other than because of the way the book was written, I wanted really badly to give it a full out five star rating. This was an excellent book, written well, progressed magnificently, awesome characters created with a nicely planned dystopian society of Japanese steampunk fantasy glory. Unfortunately, before I finally DID get hooked into the story with its kickass heroine, crazy-awesome adventure, and selectively random humor that really DID make me giggle aloud several times... well, I still have to point out that the beginning somehow had a lot of awkwardness in the way it was narrated. True, I grew used to it and didn't care for the awkward dialogue and narration, but it still bugged me enough to start the book once a few months ago, set it aside because I wasn't getting into it, then try to start it up again and being unable to get into it once again until the adventure with the thunder tiger hunt officially began.

Anyway, aside from that, I have little to complain about. I know there's a large fanbase out there of readers who love this book to smithereens and any rating less than a five could be called blasphemous. But to me, maybe this is just a case of "It's not you, it's me," and it was really my fault that I had trouble getting through the first 20%; however, after getting over that hurdle, there is no doubt that the story from there on out held my attention unwavering.

For now, this is just a brief opinion about my thoughts on the book and I apologize that this small post doesn't offer more about whatever else there may be reason to love this book.



View all my reviews

No comments: