Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Top Ten Tuesdays: Characters To Check-In With

Top Ten Tuesdays is an original and weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

 

 

Top Ten Characters You'd Like to Check In With

(Meaning, the book or series is over and you so just wish you could peek in on the "life" you imagine they are leading years down the line after the story ends).

 

 

This topic is almost like a "Which Characters would you love to see more story written for?" type of deal.  Checking in with them would always be nice in that type of scenario, like say, if the author decided to write a special novella or short story dedicated to these particular favorites.

 

When I started making my list, I had listed several Harry Potter characters, if only because I'm always wondering about how their lives are now-a-days, and also because Queen Rowling gives us little teasers here and there at Pottermore.  But after I finished my rough draft list with Harry Potter characters and non-Harry Potter characters, I realized there were more from other books I'd also like to check in with--lots of them recently read/finished books and series.

 

And then I realized that not only were there specific individual characters I want to check in with, but also actual groups and extended families worth of characters from certain series I wouldn't mind seeing again.

 

So this list... Yea, it's going to be a little... lop-sided.

 

 

 

from the Harry Potter universe by J.K. Rowling

Luna Lovegood

Neville Longbottom

 

Special mention:  Edward Remus "Teddy" Lupin

 

 

As far as the Harry Potter universe goes, while I DO wonder about our three main characters, Harry, Ron, and Hermione, I'm even more interested about how the lives of some side and minor characters turned out.  Luna and Neville, of course, are two of my favorites.  

 

As for the very minor character of young Edward Remus "Teddy" Lupin, he's part of the new generation of Harry Potter universe kids as well as the son of my favorite Marauder, Padfoot... so I'm curious. 

 

 

by Cindy Gerard

The Garretts and extended family from The Bodyguards series

The BOIs and colleagues and extended family from Black Ops, Inc. series

 

Between one or the other, I've got a soft spot in my heart for the entirety of characters created in the Bodyguards and Black Ops, Inc. world.  It delights me that Cindy continues to expand the world even with a new series tacked on, but at times I wouldn't mind revisiting our four Garrett siblings or even having one of those big ol' "Ending Hour Couple Curtain Call" novellas or short stories that I hate so much, and bringing the entire clan of Garretts and BOIs together for a big party.

 

You know, just to be able to see my favorite boys and girls having fun with each other.

 

If I had to choose specifics:  Janey Perkins and her Baby Blue, Jason Wilson (Over the LineBodyguards #4); as well as Johnny Duane Reed and his Tinkerbell, Crystal Debrowski (Whisper No Lies, Black Ops, Inc., #3).

 

 

Neryn & Flynn

from Shadowfell trilogy by Juliet Marillier

 

These two grew on me throughout the entire trilogy.  In fact, all the characters of the Shadowfell trilogy grew on me.  And if this list could be even longer, I would love to be able to not only check in with Neryn and Flynn, but also with Tali and the rest of the rebels.  While it was an overall satisfying and conclusive end to the trilogy, I can't help but feel that the relationships and the character anecdotes are still open-ended and up for discussion.

 

I'd love to see how Neryn and Flynn are doing now that they don't have to be separated anymore and now that Flynn can finally be his true self.

 

 

by Kasie West

Addie from Pivot Point duology

Caymen from The Distance Between Us -- and I may as well visit with Xander while I'm at it, but it was really Caymen I loved!

 

Two of my favorite Kasie West characters, both with their silly, sarcastic, and dry humor and Addie with her nerdiness.

 

 

Risa and A-chan (Koizumi Risa and Otani Atsushi)

Lovely Complex (manga and anime)

created by Nakahara Aya

 

I finished watching the anime and reading the manga nearly seven years ago where the series ends off with our strange couple finishing college and moving on with their lives.  I'm interested to see what a grown up Risa and A-chan are doing now-a-days.

 

 

Sakura and Shaoran

Cardcaptor Sakura (manga and anime)

created by CLAMP

 

Cardcaptor Sakura was one of my favorite anime and manga series growing up during my teenage years.  I had rewatched the entire anime series once again a few years back and still loved it.  The romance was extremely open-ended and the kids still had a lot of growing up to do.  Even with the alternate universe of CLAMP's Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, I still feel it would be nice to check in with Sakura and Shaoran to see how they're doing all-grown up and together and cutesy forever.

 

 

***

 

I'm not even going to attempt to justify the fact that I don't exactly have a Top Ten list this time around.  If we want to get picky, yes, I have listed at least fifteen specific characters.  But when I first made this list, I was sort of counting each couple as one unit, sort of including all the Garretts as one unit and all the BOIs as one unit... sort of.

 

But if we want to look at it the Ani way, if we don't count Edward Remus "Teddy" Lupin (since I've denoted him as a special mention anyway), then I've got a Top Ten plus two sets of manga characters as Honorable Mentions and Teddy Lupin...

 

 

 

 

Original post: anitactruong.booklikes.com/post/1139140/top-ten-tuesdays-characters-to-check-in-with

No comments: