Monday, September 15, 2008

Work and Warhammer

Hmm... what a weird combination. Work and Warhammer sounds like I'm about to be deployed into a battlefield.

My boss hasn't called me yet to tell me that I need to work tomorrow morning at 9:30 no matter what. I tried to pawn off that shift to another coworker of mine because starting on Thursday until Sunday I'll be doing a merciless amount of split shift work. In other words, I'll be up before the crack of dawn at 5:00 A.M. so that some crazy people can have breakfast at 7:00 A.M. and then I get to go home for a couple hours and screw around try to sleep before going back to work for the dinner shift. This if for four days in a row.

I can already feel the weariness setting in. I think I may have to call in dead this weekend.

So when one of my coworkers mentioned only having to work one day this week cause she'd asked for the weekend off, she sounded a little disappointed and distressed. So I offered her my Tuesday morning at 9:30 -- I try to be a nice person. Except now she'll be working two straight shifts tomorrow from morning until the nighttime. Oh well, I guess she is only working one day of the whole week.


As a final change in pace of all things gaming, Warhammer Online's head start gameplay begins today at 2:00 P.M. over here in the states. It took us a long time to figure out what x:00 A.M. CET was. Apparently CET is Central European Time. That's the first I'd heard of things being based off of CET instead of PST or EST or the like. Although nothing is ever based off of CST if it's a nationwide event. The central states of America just aren't that significant I guess.

It makes my little home on the range of Kansas feel so special. I think our only redeeming factor here is that we're the flattest state in the States and we get tornadoes. Oh yea, and then there's our deteriorating "Air Capitol of the World" reputation as well since all aircraft industries seem to be uprooting and shipping off to some foreign countries for better labor deals.

I'll say it now cause this is how I think: It's all the labor unions' doing. Honestly, it jitters me to no end knowing that people are still not satisfied with $20 an hour pay, plus excellent health benefits, paid vacations, paid holidays, paid Sundays, shift difference, and worthy overtime pay. And all this with just a high school degree in hand and nothing more. Accordingly, you don't even really have to do your job. And you all are going on strike because you're not being paid... what? $30 an hour.

Give me break!

I get paid $2.35/hr plus gratuities that may amount to about an average of $8.00/hr ever two weeks. My paychecks probably would never pay off if I lived on my own in a cardboard box and is really more like petty cash in this economy today. And this is if I'm lucky. Finding a better job is like picking the dead silence out of a crowd and I even have a useless degree that isn't getting me anywhere.

While I admit that I could probably be trying harder, at least I wouldn't be complaining if I had good benefits and good pay.

But that's just one of my soap boxes that maybe I should step down from before I get a lashing from other people. Labor unions are a touchy subject after all. And I'm not saying that just because you only have a high school degree that you don't deserve a good job, but people nowadays just don't know the value of satsifaction.

People always want more. We're a greedy species no matter who we are... and we're an emo species too lately. People love to live in the grandness of their melancholy and we'll be damned if someone else has a crappier life than we do.

But all of this is suddenly off topic and I need to quit.

Because all of this Warhammer Online news just ended up becoming Ani's soap box and I really hate soap boxes cause they only cause trouble and unnecessary flaming.

So back to Warhammer Online.

Well, I guess there isn't much to say about it. It starts today -- or this Thursday for those who didn't preorder and receive the head start codes -- and I'm only semi-looking forward to it. While some aspects of it are fun, it's the same deal over and over again. We quest, we do scenarios a la capture the flag type of game, and we can go and kill off other players on the open RvR battlegrounds like a first person shooter game. It's going to get boring real fast unless something new catches my attention. Because the monotonous effect was what got me turned off of Everquest 2.

Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to catch on fast and I'll be able to enjoy it.

As of today, however, I'll be spending a bit of time rushing through my Immunology notes since I have a quiz next Monday and probably won't have time to study when I start working on Thursday. Chances are, I'll still slack off... but not as much as usual. I'm even very tempted to turn on my laptop and start typing away some other story items that I really, really, really wanna work on...

No comments: