Thursday, September 24, 2009

Day 1 of KC Trip - In which I prepare for the trip the night before we leave

I know the trip hasn't exactly started yet... and also, who wants who hear about every little thing I do during this little 3 day trip anyway, right?

But I haven't blogged much lately and thought I'd give my writing skills a little whirl this weekend. I used to keep a small notebook with me as a travel journal in the past whenever I went on vacation with the family. But whenever I whip it out and start writing something interesting I'd encountered that day or the day before, my mother would look at me and shake her head. She thinks it's crazy and she can't understand why I like keeping a travel journal.

I simply just like to write about things. Now if I could apply this particular passion for writing into those effing stories I'll never get to finish cause of my recent non-motivation, I'm set.

But anyway, back to the subject.

I've been sick the past few days, which figures since my friends and I have planned this trip for months. The hotel room is booked, some of our itinerary is set which includes the following:

1) Eat at Cheesecake Factory <-- #1 crucial thing to do
2) Go shopping
3) Go shopping
4) Go shopping
5) Visit museums
6) Visit newly finished downtown

The list does not particularly have to be done in that order.

Yea, yea, I know. A bunch of girls going to KC for the shopping. There just happen to be stores in KC that are not in Wichita.

But anyway, as for my cold, my friends should be happy to know that it won't stop me from going on our trip. After the first sign of a runny nose, I started taking medicine. Since this morning, I spent the day snacking on various things just so my body would have the energy to fight. I slept for a few hours after getting home, packed my bag and now I can say that, besides feeling extremely tired, I'm probably better.

Now as tothe question of packing...

It hasn't been until today that I happened to realize just how petty I've become in the area of clothing. For those who used to know me, or who know me today, I don't come off as an image conscious person. Some of my friends have changed that immensely. Whereas I used to throw on any article of clothing I could find that was clean and looked decent, now I actually contemplate what I need to wear for at least ten minutes before throwing on something that doesn't stand out and retain's my reputation of being non-image conscious while showing off some form of casual/preppy fashion. And then I end up putting on a t-shirt and a pair of jeans anyway.

When I started packing tonight, I suddenly realized that I've managed to make an extremely large pile of clothing suitable for a week-long trip. We're only going to Kansas City for three days... two and a half, at most, and most of Friday morning will be spent driving and I will be dressed in a comfy extra-large t-shirt and comfy jeans.

And so I went about trying to eliminating things from my pre-planned packing. It's unfortunate that I've now developed the mindset of: "Well, what if I want to wear something like this." And so the shirt goes back into the "going to KC" pile. Soon after that, as I hang up a button-up shirt I've taken out of my pile, I find another shirt in my closet that is just begging to spend the three hours going to KC. I've added every possible color of tank top that I own for wearing under outfits and I know that half the clothes I take will not be worn. Fortunately, I've narrowed my selection down to what seems to be five or six nice, going out shirts plus a three random t-shirts.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is the amount of clothes I normally pack for a trip to Florida with my parents that lasts two weeks. I count the days we'll be on our trip, I put that many articles of clothing into my bag, and then I add about three more extra shirts in case I need an extra change of clothing.

Tonight, I have successfully packed for that very week-long trip.

On top of that, we are going shopping for clothing too.

*sigh*

I'm not sure when it happened that I became so image conscious, but it doesn't bode very well with my self-confidence. As opposed to the days back in high school where t-shirt and jeans were 90% of my wardrobe and I didn't even know what size I wore or how much I weighed, I've suddenly realized that today's me is actually kind of depressing.

No offense to those of you out there who DO give a damn about how you look daily, but I'm finding it kind of troublesome. It's not like I really have anyone to impress and my days are spent going to school, coming home, going to work, coming home, and well, just being a lazy hermit. The public doesn't see me long enough to pay attention that my shirt doesn't match my shoes or something like that.

I miss the old me.

Well, anyway, packing, packing... I'm still packing. I have three specific pairs of comfy jeans that are still in the dryer that I need to take with me, mostly because they are comfy. I still need to make sure I pack all the toiletries necessary and most important of all, I need to make sure that I pack my phone charger-- lately, my retarded cell phone has been running low on batteries only halfway through the day even if I don't use it. My old phone used to last two days before it died on me.

Crackberries are retarded smart phones. I'll never get another one and I'm in the process of looking for my old Nokia cause I really liked it a lot. Not that I'd be able to use it, though since my charger's broken.

Well, off to doing my laundry now so I have jeans to wear this weekend in KC. We leave early tomorrow morning! And while I'm never really one for leaving my house, I always look forward to some trips such as the family vacations we never take anymore due to schedule conflicts and this now traditional trip to KC with my girls.

Otherwise, I really just like being lazy and sitting around at home.

Bright and early tomorrow morning! To Kansas City we go!

No comments: