Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Review: About That Night


About That Night
About That Night by Julie James

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



3.5 stars

Mmmm... Well, I was excited going into this book, but I wasn't all too excited as the book progressed. There is definitely that all too familiar witty banter and humor between our main couple, but other than that, not much else seems to happen. This is more or less a contemporary romance first and foremost with law and proceedings coming in at a close second. I was kind of expecting some suspense and crime thriller type (since the first two were sort of in that genre), but there wasn't much action going on.

Nonetheless, if you look at it as a standard contemporary romance, it's an excellent book. The characters are wonderful, intelligent, fun, and lovable; the story line is cute and trendy. But since I went into the book expecting a side dish of suspense and crime and thrill, I came out of it a little conflicted... and feeling kind of meh.

I tried giving the book two days to sink in before deciding how I REALLY felt about it, but since the excitement was lost on me while I was reading it, I don't think I ever got it back. And honestly, I know it's unfair to this book since it IS written well, and it DOES have excellent characters.

On a side note, I find it really strange that my interest in Kyle when I was reading the second book kind of deflated after he became center stage in this third book. On the other hand, while I was reading A Lot Like Love I didn't really feel like Nick McCall stood out too much outside of being the hot, hero, FBI agent type. However, in THIS book, I found that I fell in love with Nick as a side character.

Stranger things have happened, I must say.

A few things I DID appreciate about this book:

- Rylann's law geek tendencies.

- The sibling banter between Kyle and Jordan.

- Sam Wilkins and his "meet cute" line.




View all my reviews

No comments: