Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Review: Stardust


Stardust
Stardust by Neil Gaiman

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I'm not too good at reviewing books, but here goes:

I chose this book (yes, superficially) based on the fact that I enjoyed the movie. The premise was cute and interesting and the story was written well. But I don't know if it's because of the fact that I saw the movie first, or just some forms of continuity, but the book version didn't really do much for me. Yes, I enjoyed it, but ultimately, it's not like this is something I would rave about or lose sleep over.

Nonetheless, I liked Stardust and Neil Gaiman does excellently in writing detail and painting his descriptions with his words. It just wasn't something that I would put on my favorites list since (as my only complaint) the ending was kind of bland. I really WAS expecting a whole lot more excitement towards the second half of the story line, but it almost seemed as if we were in a hurry to finish up so that we could get Tristran and Yvaine closer towards their happy ending without anything too demanding happening to them -- more paraphrased (at least that's how I felt about it) narrative than action (and I don't even mean that combats and fights and running around type of action).

Still, it was fun while it lasted.



View all my reviews

No comments: