Monday, August 25, 2008

A Useless Degree and Post-work-non-sleep Trauma Disorder

This is really what my work station looks like. It's a lot messier, but I left out a bit of the... other stuff that no one probably wants to see.

So my days of studying haven't ended. Because of the stupid no-use degree I've gotten from WSU is, well, of no use to me right now, I was told that maybe I should get certified for something else instead. Another degree, another two years of studying. I think I'm destined to be forever be trapped in a prison of text books, lecture notes, and pop-up quizzes.

Basically everywhere I've looked to find a job that says that they "only require a bachelor's degree in biology, chemistry, forensic science, or any related physical sciences" are all lying. I have no experience in the field and thus I'm an immediate foul out. No one wants me.

Stupid catch twenty-two. Without experience no one will hire me, but if no one hires me, where am I actually supposed to be getting this so called experience. I'm already not bothering to apply for jobs that include the words "Must have at least x years experience in the field/lab/ect..." and stuff similar to that. Cause I already know I'm not going to get those.

But I wish people wouldn't waste my time with those only a bachelor's degree necessary advertisements. It's a big disappointment when I'm not hired and I know exactly why.

But anyway, I guess for now it all comes down to, I'm not really that interested in finding a job that has nothing to do with what I've studied and so I'm being stubborn. That and I'm not really "allowed" to leave Wichita right now for my own personal reasons. And so instead of doing that, I will pursue yet another degree which may or may not ensure that I will at least find a suitable job and remain in Wichita for the rest of my life, toiling away like a little slave girl because all I have are three brothers in a family completely dominated by the male species.

No, I'm not bitter. Not bitter at all.

Nothing hurts my pride more than hearing the words "because you're a girl." If anyone other than my father says that to me in the future, I swear I'll rip him a new one. And here I am assuming that only a guy will say something like that to me when some of the females are equally guilty of associating "things that cannot be done" with "because you're a girl."

Yeah... I'm a girl. I'm a stubborn girl as well. Don't tell me I can't do something for that stupid reason. At least tell me it's because I'm stupid or because I don't have the skill or because I'm short or some other lame, non-related reason. I'd probably take it a little bit better than, "because you're a girl."

But I digress.

The busy workdays have just begun at the Hilton Hotel and in banquets, we are all suffering from post-KIOGA activity trauma. I believe the very morning after the whole full day event, having gotten only three hours of sleep within my forty-eight plus hours of work, I ended up with a sore throat. The next day it became a cold and constant coughing. It remains up to today and has returned to being an annoying little dry cough that will sneak its way up my throat and out of my mouth when I least want it to. I think I'm beign haunted or something. I really should have slept all week instead of agreeing to go into work more hours.

But money makes the world go round. No matter that I don't make enough of it to be significant.

This has become a big part of my diet in the past two days. It could probably take over for breakfast and lunch. And yes, that is a box of pocky right next to it. Doesn't help me feel better, but looking at it gives me hope of some kind. Well, not really, but I can still hope.

So anyway, Medical Technology seems to be my new calling code. I've learned that by the end of the coursework, they will give me an opportunity to work as an extern in labs around Wichita. The biggest obstacle right now is actually finishing up my application and turning it in.

I'm kind of stuck on the three references I need in order to apply as well as a "why do you want to be a medical technologist?" short paragraph essay. Now do I tell them that I don't really want to be a medical technologist and that I just need a way to get my foot in a lab? Or do I make up some extravagant story about how I want to better mankind? Do people even really do that? Want to better mankind and help people and thus choose to become a doctor, medical technologist, nurse, ect...?

Or maybe I should just use my practical reason. I want to be able to work in a lab and learn more about medicine through this route and thus survive my life because without a good job, I've no money and thus I can't pay the bills. Please accept me so that I may approach my first step of entering into the lab environment and find a good job. Thank you very much.

Yeah... that's a winning reason right there.

Before I can even get into the degree program I need to finish up this class first. Medical Immunology. It sounds fun and interesting really.

If anyone wants this book in the future, please let me know. I may never use it again and it cost me a third of my last paycheck. I really need a new job.


In final news, my grandmother is finally moving out of her dump of a neighborhood home and into one half an hour away from us on the other side of town in the area I like to call "rich person ville." I'm a west sider-- has it ever amazed anyone just how divided by directions Wichitans are? I don't like the east side, but I'm not prejudice. Call me a hypocrite cause that's probably what I am. At least grandma doesn't have to lock up every door and window with extra security every night before she sleeps. And my uncle now lives closer to his workplaces.

Post, post end note, today I lost a part of my glasses and so I have to revert to using an older pair. Not that I care, my backup pair is the same perscription and a nice style too. But this just means I have to get my newer, more fashionable pair fixed. What a drag. I don't even really want to leave home right now. I'm so tired.

No comments: