Sunday, January 18, 2009

In Memory of a Great Author

Michael Crichton Official Site


So it just came to my attention recently that one of my favorite authors has died of cancer. And to think that I've always boasted how much I love his books and his subjects over contorversy and whatnot. But even though he died nearly two months ago, I didn't even know about it and was told by a friend.

I'm a very private person and typically don't care about the outside world too much. My life consists of home, school, work, and friends. So I guess now I can finally tell just how much I pay attention to news around even my own world.

I discovered Michael Crichton as many others probably did, through the movies. After watching Jurassic Park, it probably took me a few years to get into reading novels written by him. Back then, I was still in middle school when I first laid my hands on my first Michael Crichton book.

To this day, I can't say I remember which one it is that I read first-- it could have been Sphere or Congo but I honestly don't remember. I just remember that I liked it. Then I watched more of the movie adaptations and became hooked.

I was always a bookworm. So I will admit that Michael Crichton books weren't really my main priority. I've probably read everything there was to read in my school library, skipping passed the young adult books and heading straight for classic literature, contemporary novels, and all the other good stuff.

And then my brothers became fans of Michael Crichton books. The next time I picked up a Michael Crichton book after thost first two happened to be Timeline. It was one of the best books I'd read and probably one of my favorite of his. After that, I started diving into more of his older novels, including A Case of Need-- that he wrote under a pseudonym-- and many other books.

I really like this author because of his outside of the box ideas. His writing style was unique, jumping around from one scene to another so easily, but still keeping good pace with the entire storyline.

I've enjoyed reading his works for so long and it's sad to think that we'll never be able to see another book written by him.

From one of his eternal fans, may he rest in peace.

No comments: