Thursday, May 9, 2013

Review: The 5th Wave


The 5th Wave
The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



I'm leaning more towards 4.5 stars, but that's only because I haven't quite had time to entirely process the ending yet -- I'm not sure how I feel about the ending. And I have a few quibbles about certain parts of the book that may have made my mind wander a little bit.

Nonetheless, this book was certainly an intense, fast-paced, magnificent read that had me grasping for the next chapter and then the next and the next continuously. I couldn't put it down and there was not a moment of boredom to be had.

If no one's been following my updates, I will repeat how much I loved the characters. Cassie is so much kickass and badass female main character rolled in with all of her character flaws and sardonic survivalist 'tude that I had tons of fun following her POV. Ben has a similar voice to Cassie's, but after the initial introduction of his character, I found I was able to pick him out better. As for Evan... well, he's totally charming and hot for a non-human, non-other, cold blooded hunter.

There were quite a few predictable points that I'm not sure whether or not were meant for the reader to pick up on right away, such as Evan's identity and what the 5th Wave ended up being. But what made them great despite their predictability would be the fact that the suspense building up to the big reveal balanced out just fine.

I'm usually pretty bad about writing reviews in general; and I'm worse off at writing about books that I "OMG, I can't put this book down cause I love it so much" worship. The Hunger Games was a book I couldn't think of anything to write about (also, I'd read that book before I stumbled upon Goodreads), and The Archived from the beginning of this year was another book I couldn't think of how to express me love for.

So I may or may not come back to this later on and add more thoughts, but for right now, these are my random brief opinions.



View all my reviews

No comments: