Friday, May 17, 2013

Review: The Crossing Places


The Crossing Places
The Crossing Places by Elly Griffiths

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



My main issue with this book, I think, was the third person, present tense narration. It somehow made the story and its characters seem a lot more impersonal and harder to relate with. I like the idea of relating archaeology with a modern crime mystery, because aside from being a sleuthing reader, you also learn a few interesting things about history and culture. As I'd already mentioned in a status update, the only parts of the book that actually caught my attention were when we were investigating the little girls' kidnappings and when Ruth explained about some archaeology facts. Outside of that, the more personal sides of the characters seemed... well, tedious, and I found myself being hard-pressed to really care.

So this book wasn't terrible, but I just didn't really care for it much. It was written well despite the present tense usage, but it just wasn't for me.



View all my reviews

No comments: