Saturday, July 20, 2013

Review: The Restorer


The Restorer
The Restorer by Amanda Stevens

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



As much as I'm a weeny when it comes to anything that has to do with horror or ghosts or the like, I really enjoyed The Restorer. A woman who can see ghosts choosing to live her life as a graveyard restorer is interesting. A murder mystery that she gets roped into when she's got so much to worry about concerning the ghostly visitors she's surrounded by and the danger that they impose on her life... Even more intriguing is the history and lore that goes into a story like this. How much of it is true and how much of it is only part of this fictional world doesn't really matter to me in the least; but it's always enticing to me when the elements are combined like this: a murder mystery, a ghost story, and tales of history and ghost lore to connect everything together.

On top of that, mysterious characters to propel the story line into progression.

What I liked mostly about this book would have to be that creepy vibe in connection with the ghostly appearances and the murder mystery.

The only thing I'm not too overjoyed about would be the characters. Amelia is interesting as are some of the supporting characters, but to be honest, no one really stands out in much of a unique way. In fact, Devlin is stock-trade main male character with his broody, mysterious, dark past and tragedy. It's a shame he's not more interesting, since I can sense that it would be nice if he weren't so standardized.

Nonetheless, this was a very good read and I'm off to ruin my reading list by jumping into the next book of the series. So many questions and so many curiosities...



View all my reviews

No comments: