Tuesday, July 8, 2008

My... Day

Cars are not my friend.

Technically, the rain today wasn't so nice either, but I like the rain and I like to think that the rain likes me too. So I hold nothing against the rain.

However, I've learned something very important (that I've probably already known but forgot). Basically, when you tell yourself aloud that it isn't going to rain, then it will most certainly rain. Of course, this could just be me since every force in this world is dead set on proving me wrong when I'm certain of things.

And so I got to work this morning and decided that it's a fairly good and sunny day. "It doesn't look like it'll rain," I say to myself. And I leave my front windows cracked enough to keep my car cool. All is fine and dandy as I head into work and start to prepare all the necessary items for my outside catering job today. I'm heading out to our company's catering van to load up and I notice that it's sprinkling. But would you guess that the first thought in my mind is not that my front windows are down, but that I would have to load and unload all my things while it's raining.

I think nothing of it. It's only lightly sprinkling anyway. I load up the van, climb into it and start the engine. When the van didn't start to move after I put it in reverse should have been the first clue that something was wrong. But I persist. The vehicle just needs a little pep, I think and so I hit the gas and back the van out of it's hidey-hole parking space and out into the drive. The van is veering left for some sort of unknown reason. It never crosses my sleep-deprived mind that something is really wrong with the van. And while I'm driving down the street, the van is jittering really hard and pulling left the whole way. And so partway to my destination -- which isn't far, mind you -- I pull the van to the side of the road and then get out.

I have a flat tire.

Imagine my unsurprise. I knew that something was wrong, but it never once did cross my mind that something was really terribly wrong. Worse yet, it's still raining and getting worse as I stand there on the side of the road trying to figure out what to do next.

Thank what may that cell phones exist and that I had at least enough sense to bring mine with me -- although the reason behind me having a cell phone with me had absolutely nothing to do with "in case of an emergency flat tire" circumstance. I merely needed to be able to tell the time because the place I've been catering at has no clock.

The rest is history. I call back to the hotel where I work and tell them that I'm stranded and would someone please come and pick up my dumb ass. Somehow I got a flat tire -- I'm too embarrassed to tell them that I think I may have had it before I even left the hotel's premises, because I really should have checked before getting in the van first, right? And then I finish up my catering with the help of the bellmen of the hotel with their nice little nicely driven vans.

And in the middle of the day while I am worrying more about the flat tire on the catering van and how I'm going to finish off this catering job without any flaws... I finally realize that my front windows are down and it is now pouring rain like some sort of waterfall.

Has anyone ever mistaken me for an idiot? I think now is the time to start.

No comments: